It’s been a week. A week full of beautiful things, hopeful things and some incredibly terrible things, like the school shooting in Benton, Ky. But, as the week closes out, I’d rather focus on the good things in my life and invite you to do the same with yours. With no further ado. . .
- I got my MoviePass card this week. I signed up about 10 days ago, and the card came in the mail earlier this week. Truth be told, after doing several social media searches about MoviePass before taking the plunge, I was hopeful, but also doubtful that the card would arrive quickly or that I’d have problems using it. Nothing could be further from the truth. It came quickly; I used it last night, and everything was flawless.
- Speaking of movies. . . I saw The Post last night. Granted, being me, I’m predisposed to like movies about journalism. I loved it! I thought Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks (as Ben Bradlee) were phenomenal. I also loved how the use of Nixon tapes and nuanced references to the historical record really placed this movie at a particular time in history and made you understand it better. At the same time, the film is also a product of this particular moment in history. If you’ve read an essay I wrote here months ago, you know where I stand on journalism’s role in our republic. The movie seemed to think it was a “for such as time as this” moment to declare the same thing. I get that The Post isn’t the movie for everyone, but I loved it.
- A good friend of mine is celebrating a milestone birthday with a big party this weekend. I look forward to good food, friends and music!
- I stopped by Red Bicycle today and got a butterbeer latte on the way to work. That will brighten anyone’s day!
- I had my performance review at work this week. It’s good to be encouraged!
- A friend and I made some progress on a project we’re planning for the students we work with at our church. I’m excited to guide them through the process of using their creative gifts and talents to serve and encourage the church.
What are some of the good things in your life this week? Share a few in the comments!