As you can tell from the recipes I’ve posted lately, I’ve been on a cobbler kick.
Actually, since I made and posted my blackberry cobbler recipe a few weeks ago, a friend of mine has been nagging me for a blackberry peach cobbler for her. Since I made the plain ole’ blackberry cobbler for a get-together with work friends, she didn’t get to have any. . . . but she was hosting July 4 at her house and her blackberry peach cobbler seemed like the perfect dessert for me to bring.
Blackberry peach may seem like a weird combo, but don’t knock it until you try it. I dreamed it up several years ago after I made a blackberry peach smoothie, and it was delicious. Around the same time, a pie place in town that I really like (The Loving Pie Company), served up a blackberry peach pie—so if people who make pie for a living think it’s a good idea, I had to try it.
Y’all, it was delicious. And definitely worth making again to celebrate Independence Day. So, with no further ado, the recipe. (And, guys, if you haven’t caught on, my cobbler recipes are all variations of the same recipe. So, get the crust recipe here. )
Blackberry Peach Cobbler Filling:
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
4 cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced (You can use frozen, but fresh is so, so good. I used Peach Truck peaches.)
3 cups fresh blackberries, rinsed (Once again, you can use frozen, but I got some beautiful organic ones 2 for $5 at Kroger.)
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Follow the directions here to prepare the crust.
3. Make the filling. Combine sugar and flour and mix well. Add peaches, blackberries, water, and vanilla. Stir. Spoon into baking dish and top with butter, cut into smaller pieces.
4. Top with the remaining crust and pinch edges of crust together. Cut slits into the top crust (or use your star cookie cutter) to vent the cobbler. Sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the filling bubbles. Enjoy warm with vanilla ice cream and friends!