It’s Opening Day (or night since the Cardinals and the Miami Marlins kick things off with a night game) today, and I, for one, couldn’t be happier. This year’s NCAA basketball was amazing, but ended on a slightly sour, bittersweet note for Missouri fans, so the return of the Boys of Summer fresh off a World Series win couldn’t come early enough!
And this Opening Day, I have a few goals for the season—that don’t really involve my team, the St. Louis Cardinals, at all.
1. Get a new jersey. My favorite jersey for the past few years has been my #5 jersey emblazoned with Albert Pujols’ name. Since Albert is now an Angel and broke my mama’s heart, I just can’t wear that jersey right now. It will likely take up residence with my Mark McGwire jersey (we’ve been on a break for a few years). I want a David Freese jersey because I kind of heart him. So be on the lookout, Cards fans and shoppers, and let me know where I can get the best deal!
2. Go to St. Louis for a game. I didn’t get to go last year. Well, actually, last year I got mad at the Cardinals around August and stopped paying attention. Then, they played an amazing September and won the World Series. But I digress. It’s been two years since I’ve been to a game, and I’d like to go this year. Preferably for a win. Over the Cubs.
3. Watch as many games as possible. I have been wanting to get Apple TV for awhile. If you have an MLB.tv subscription, you can watch them on your HD TV with Apple TV. I’m thinking it’s worth it, since I live in the South and only get to see the Cardinals when the Braves aren’t playing. (And truly, who cares about the Braves? It was a joke, people. A joke!)
4. Get David Freese to retweet me. OK. I’ve been trying this for awhile. It hasn’t worked yet. I will not give up hope!
5. Watch my two favorite baseball-ish movies: Field of Dreams and The Natural. Because I can. And because I love them.
Happy Baseball Season, all! Now bring me some peanuts and cracker jacks.