Oh, yes. It’s Friday (or FriYAY, as my friend Buddy terms it) and it’s “Dispatches” day. You’ve totally spent your short work week counting down to this. I know it. Don’t deny it. You love me; you really love me!
OK, before I start quoting random speeches, songs, and movies, let’s just get on with the show, why don’t we?
• I’m going to Missouri to hang out with the family this weekend and I couldn’t be more excited. It’s just time. I need to see my family, hold my nephew, laugh with my mom, and generally relax. There’s a song by Sara Evans called “Missing Missouri” and it basically describes the way I’ve been feeling lately: I need to see my family and be with people who love me and always have. It’s going to be a good weekend, I think. And my new bathing suit came in yesterday, so I can hang out at the parents’ above ground pool and look somewhat cute. As cute as I can look in a bathing suit.
• Speaking of bathing suits, I was looking at pics the other day of various friends trips to the beach and noticed something strange: most women in the pics had on bikinis. Does no one (but me) wear a bathing suit that covers their midriff? The fact is, bikinis just aren’t good on some of us. Not good at all. So why do women who shouldn’t be wearing a bikini wear one? Why do women who are incredibly modest otherwise wear bikinis? Please explain it to me because I don’t understand.
• Police in Chile are looking for James Van Der Sloot, the guy suspected in the Natalee Holloway case, in connection with the death of a 21-year-old woman in Peru. The whole story is sad to me.
• In completely different news, Mark McGwire’s wife gave birth to triplet girls on Wednesday. Congrats to them! The last story I read said they’d yet to name the babies and that McGwire was expected to rejoin the Cards today when we begin a series with the Brewers. Have I told you how much I dislike the Brewers?
• I got made fun of for wanting to see Neil Young in concert at the Ryman earlier in the week. Great songwriter and a once-in-a-lifetime experience. What’s laughable about that?
• I worked from 7:45 a.m. to 5 p.m. yesterday. Mind you, I worked through lunch, too. I did that partly because I wanted to leave early today, but also because we’re trying to get an issue to the printer. Ah, the life of an editor.
• I had to take my dog to the vet this week because she seemed to be in pain, though I couldn’t find the source. I checked her legs and they seemed fine. The vet checked her back and neck and said she wasn’t tense. We think it’s mouth related, since Muffin is 11 years old and has terrible teeth problems. So she’s getting her teeth cleaned next week. It’s a big deal and they have to knock her out and everything. And since she’s almost 12 years old, that makes me really nervous. So next Wednesday, I’m going to be a little tense. Prepare. Be nice. Offer me coffee and hugs.
• Meet n’ greet with a band I’ve never heard of in 15 minutes. There better be snacks! 🙂
That’s all I’ve got for today. Have a wonderful weekend. I’ll likely be taking some time off the blog, Twitter and FB since my phone doesn’t work well in my hometown (go figure) and I’m not taking my computer with me. Unless I change my mind. (There’s no TV in my bedroom at my parents’ house and I use the TV to lull me to sleep.)