This post is a day late and a dollar short, but as Ryan says, “This is American Idol!”
It’s the top 7 and they’re singing songs of inspiration. And Siobahn is dressed like a bird about to take flight. I have no idea what is going on with her outfit.
Just so we’re all on the same page, it’s inspirational song week and Alicia Keys is the mentor. Sometimes, I think Alicia sings at the back of her throat and only uses her vocal chords, so I’m a bit iffy on this choice. But we’ll see.
Casey James “Don’t stop” by Fleetwood Mac
Alicia: encourage you to connect with the song; give it a lot of personality
• I hate what he’s wearing • Casey’s OK for me, but I don’t know if he has much personality • nice vocals in part • Song isn’t very original or different • ends kind of low-key • Not terrible, but not amazing
Randy: Good performance, wasn’t your best performance
Ellen: Great guitar playing; that wasn’t great
Kara: It was like jam band; that’s not showing us what makes you different.
Simon: That wasn’t particularly inspiring; did the song pretty much like the original
Lee Dewyze “The Boxer”by Simon and Garfunkel
Alicia: people have to feel like you are that boxer and you are that fighter
• Vocals are nice and really weird at the beginning • Feels a little vacant in places, but he’s really into the la la la part • This is the most emotional Lee has ever been; I like it! • Maybe not his best performance, but definitely a good one.
Randy: You are a great artist ready to make great music.
Ellen: Beautiful song choice; we’re seeing better and better from you.
Kara: I think you had your moment tonight with that performance.
Simon: That was sincere. It was emotional. It was inspirational.
Tim Urban “Better Days” by the Goo Goo Dolls
Alicia: I like it on him. Reiterate it, let people feel it.
• Tim’s vocals have improved so much from the beginning of the season • I hate when he sings in the half voice, though • Vocals get a little rough when he goes into the second verse • I feel like he’s not quite getting up on top of some of his notes • end of the performance was very nice and the vocals were good. • One of Tim’s better performances, not his best. • Sort of blah.
Randy: For me, this song was an interesting choice. It was like OK karaoke.
Ellen: Today I didn’t like the soup.
Kara: This is where you belong, but it wasn’t the best execution.
Simon: This may have been a step too high for you this week. It was a little bit of a let down.
Aaron Kelly “I Believe I Can Fly”
Alicia: This is the song that can be overkill to some.He can almost be like crying at the end of that song, then he’ll take it to a whole new place.
• Beginning vocals are good • Wow, his hair is poofy • I never heard this song as a country song. . . • Gets a little shouty and screamy at the end and wasn’t as pure as I would have hoped,which is something I know Aaron can do.
Randy: You picked a giant, giant song. You did a good job with such a giant song.
Ellen: You’re on your way.
Kara: By the end, you got there.
Simon: It wasn’t very good, but you kind of made it quite good. (What does that mean?)
Siobahn Magnus “When You Believe”
Alicia: This is no easy feat, this song. I’m very impressed with her voice.
• Seriously, what does she have on? • Vocals are nice, but I kind of hate this song • I also hate that she’s exhaling so loudly into the mic after each phrase—that’s a lack of control and not good • modulation is nice • I feel like she’s a bit unsure of the melody sometimes and a her voice is a little all over the place • High notes are nice and the ending is good. • Good, but not AMAZING.
Randy: You probably picked the toughest song of the night. It was just OK for me.
Ellen: I disagree. That was just more confirmation why you’re here.
Kara: It started to feel very dramatic. This isn’t a musical.
Simon: I don’t think that was the right song for you. Too much happened too quickly.
Michael Lynche “Hero”
Alicia: Michael’s going to be making this his own. As long as he brings people along on a ride, he’s going to do great.
• Beginning is good, nice build up into chorus • I still think there’s an enunciation issue with Big Mike • I wish he’d modulated up on that last big note, because he kind of got us to this big, exciting place, then did NOTHING with it.
Randy: I was worried about this song choice, but you held your own with it.
Ellen: Great job
Kara: Wasn’t my favorite performance
Simon: You sang it pretty well, but the theme is inspirational songs and that was about Spider-Man, right? (I LOVE Michael’s response of shocked confusion followed by, “no, it’s about being a hero!”
Crystal Bowersox “People Get Ready”
Alicia: Crystal is very very special. Make sure you deliver.
• I like that Crystal’s wearing a dress • I love that she’s singing a capella and sounds amazing • She’s so in control of her voice and hitting notes from one end of her range to the other • I love this! • She’s crying! Apparently this song DOES mean a lot to her and I’m glad the emotion showed through!
Randy: That is how you do it!
Ellen: That was so beautiful.
Kara: Thank you so much for taking a risk. You just schooled all those contestants.
Simon: That was inspirational. I’m actually in a strange way happy to see you emotional.
Best of the night: Crystal, hands down.
In trouble: Casey, Tim, Mike, Siobahn